Menu 

Two Central Indiana Cities Rank as America’s Safest Suburbs

Two Central Indiana cities topped the list of America’s Safest Suburbs, with Carmel, Indiana coming in first place. This comes as no surprise to those of us who live and leave our cars unlocked in Hamilton County suburbs. Still, it’s always nice to see the data backing up our feelings of security.

Using crime data for over 100 suburbs of the 50 most populous cities in America, the top 10 suburban cities rank as follows:

  1. Carmel, IN
  2. Fishers, IN
  3. Parma, OH
  4. Dublin, OH
  5. Newton, MA
  6. Cary, NC
  7. Apex, NC
  8. Oro Valley, AZ
  9. Cupertino, CA
  10. Germantown, TN

Each city was given a score for property crimes per capita (burglaries, thefts, and motor vehicle thefts), violent crimes per capita (murders, rapes, robberies, and aggravated assaults), and the chances of being a victim of crime. The stats were then weighted so that 50% of each suburb’s score was made up of violent crime, property crime made up 30%, and the chance of being the victim of a crime accounted for the remaining 20%.

In 2012, Carmel ranked first with the lowest violent crime per capita and second-safest for property crimes and chance of being the victim of a crime. Fishers, Indiana was a close second, in second place for violent crime, fourth lowest property crimes, and third lowest in the chance of being a crime victim. This data should provide peace of mind to the nearly 80,000 residents in both Carmel and Fishers.

So take a long (safe) walk on the Monon Trail, sleep soundly in your quiet Hamilton County neighborhood, and enjoy all that Carmel has to offer with the security of knowing you live in the safest suburb in the USA.